Thursday, October 3, 2013

Blog Response #1

After reading over the blog posts of a few of my classmates it seems to be that we all feel the same way about the impact mass media has had on our lives. We all stated different examples of the impact but the end result was the same. The mass media impacts our lives in a very strong way, sometimes more then we even realize. No one stated that they had no impact whatsoever by the media and therefore my opinion on the topic has not changed. I strongly feel that the media is an important part of our lives and some of my classmates blogs reflected this feeling with similar/different examples.

In Chloe Lemay's blog(http://chloejocelyn.blogspot.ca/2013/09/blog-entry-1-effects-of-mass-media-on-me.html) she mentioned how movies and tumblr were "skewing [her] views on people and the rest of the world". This is something that i can strongly relate to and actually talked about in a similar example in my original blog. We all watch movies and TV shows and the majority of us wish we lived a life like those shows. However the idea of what life should be like based on TV is completely unrealistic and it creates a large disconnect between our idea of real life and what real life truly is.

In Emma Stubbs blog (http://unbeatable2.blogspot.ca/2013/09/1f25-post-1-media-impact.html) she talked about two things that i can also relate to. She mentioned how " media expands to advertising and it is everywhere you go" and how "we as a whole have allowed the world to persuade us as the consumer to buy almost anything" an example of this in my own life is the fact that i own an Iphone. The reason i bought an Iphone last year was because it was advertised to be the best and was constantly talked about and shown on TV. This made me as the consumer want it so bad that even though my old phone worked perfectly fine i was willing to pay around $600 for the Iphone just because its the "best". ( in my opinion not true!)

In Carla Alfaro's blog(http://cacpcf.blogspot.ca/2013/09/blog-entry-1.html) she talks about the extreme differences between what is presented and what is the truth. Her examples both talk about how a place( LA, Africa) are presented one way; LA being glamorous and Africa being poor and in need of help. But the truth is there are two sides to every story. Not all of LA is glamorous and full of celebrities and not all of Africa is poor and in need of saving but the media only presents one side of each story instead of giving a well rounded view of the country/ city. She then admits that it made her become "really skeptical of a lot of things" and from then on she "always asked questions". It made me realize that we should always ask questions and do our own research on any topics presented my the media because the media is not always right.

Overall the common opinion among my classmates seems to be the same as me. We all admit that the media has a large impact on our view of the world. Reading over the other blogs has made me think harder about how much i let it impact my life and has made me decide to try to make more of an effort to not let it impact every aspect of my life in such a strong way.


No comments:

Post a Comment